Struggled for a while with this.
- Download latest SharePoint designer 2013 (some early releases were buggy I am told)
- Apply any SharePoint designer updates (Had an issue with designer not able to load visio)
- Make sure the “Acount” Designer is using is your 0n-line account not your desktop account
- Connect to an site collection (Not your admin site collection :-))
- Enable site feature “Workflows can use app permissions”
- Grant app permissions in your site collection see this (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj822159.aspx)
- Create a (in my case) site workflow
- Add an app step
- Inside the app step Include a send email action, send it to yourself
- Publish the workflow
- Go to site settings -> Site content -> site workflows
- Execute your workflow
- Check your inbox of the email address specified in your Profile
That’s all folks.